Privacy Statement BTC Direct
This is the Privacy Statement of BTC Direct EU B.V. and its affiliated entities. In this statement we explain, among other things, why we collect and use personal data, which data this is and what rights you have when we process your personal data.
This Privacy Statement applies to all personal data that BTC Direct processes.
We process your data with due observance of the requirements of the relevant privacy legislation, including the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and additional national regulations. This means that we store as little data as possible, we do not store your personal data longer than is legally permitted and no longer than is necessary for the purposes the data was collected for.
We do everything we can to protect your personal data as best as possible and to transparently communicate to you how we process it. Below you can read how we ensure this.
Personal data and legal basis
Personal data is any information about an identified or identifiable natural person. This includes, for example, your name, address, telephone number, date of birth or e-mail address. Customer or bank account numbers also fall under personal data. Personal data may only be processed if there is a basis for this.
BTC Direct processes personal data on the basis of various legal grounds. For example, under the Money Laundering and Terrorist Financing (Prevention) Act (Wwft), BTC Direct has some legal obligations for which the processing of personal data is necessary.We may also use certain information about you (name, account number, age, nationality, IP address, etc.) to detect and prevent fraudulent activities and criminal offences on our platform. For example, we investigate transactions that deviate from normal transaction patterns or transactions that have characteristics of money laundering or terrorist financing.
Besides that, we have to process certain personal data for the execution of the agreement you concluded with us for the provision of products and services.
Finally, we process personal data with your permission. You may revoke this consent at any time, however this does not affect the lawfulness of the use of your data before the revocation. Do you wish to revoke your consent? Then we will no longer process the personal data we process on the basis of your consent and delete this data.
Your personal data
We process your personal data in order to provide you with the best possible service and to comply with our legal obligations. The personal data we process includes:
- Identification data: we verify your identity at the time you register your account. This data may include your first name, last name, residential address, country, email address and identification documents.
- Account information: we collect and use your personal data during the customer relationship. This data may include information about your transaction profile and any other information that may be relevant to (continue to) use our services.
- Financial information: we need to process your transactions to enable the use of our service. For this, we process your payment details and collect and store information about your transactions and account status within the platform. In addition, we may ask you for proof of the origin of funds or your source of assets.
- Data to prevent fraud and promote the security of the Platform: we process personal data to detect and prevent fraud and other criminal offences. We do this to protect the security of our customers and of our platform. We may use scoring methods to assess and manage risks.
- Data we use to communicate with you: we use your personal data to communicate with you about our services in various ways (for example, by phone, email, chat). When you contact us, we can use the data stored in your account to answer your questions or complaints. Telephone conversations may also be recorded.
- Data to improve our services and our platform: we may process your personal data to analyse performance and increase functionality, to fix errors, and to develop the usability and overall quality of our platform.
- Data used for purposes for which you give us consent: we may ask your permission to process certain personal data for a specific purpose. You will always be informed in these cases.
Sharing with third parties
In certain cases we share your personal data with third parties. This happens, for example, when we use the services of other companies and individuals who perform certain activities on our behalf. These third parties are carefully selected and, if necessary, we enter into agreements with them to ensure that they provide at least the same level of protection as described in this Privacy Statement. Below you will find some cases in which your data can be shared with a third party:
- We use third parties with respect to IT services, such as hosting services or IT development services.
- We use third-party services to send automatic newsletters and to analyse customer engagement with our product.
- Our customer service department uses software to quickly and efficiently handle your questions.
- To process payments and transactions on our website we work with several payment services providers, crypto partners and banks.
- We use identity verification software to verify the legitimacy of your identification documents.
- We use automated customer screening and transaction monitoring to comply with our AML requirements.
It can also be the case that we share your personal information with the government. This can happen if certain government institutions require this information for the performance of their duties, such as the tax authorities. The police or judicial authorities may also need certain data in the event of fraud or other illegal activities. Finally, certain supervisory authorities have access to personal data in the context of an investigation.
We will not store your personal data for longer than it is necessary. However, for some data, there are retention periods established by law. For example, we keep data regarding financial administration for at least seven years and the Wwft has a retention period of five years. Personal data that we process on your consent will, in principle, not be retained after you have revoked your consent.
When visiting our website we process information through cookies. Cookies are small data files in which your browser saves some information. These cookies do not save any personal information, but they enable us to keep track of your prior visits and your IP address.
We use two types of cookies, technical and analytical cookies. Technical cookies keep the website working properly, so disabling these cookies might lead to certain reduced functionality. Analytical cookies help us keep track of visitor statistics and give insight into the functioning of our website. For this we use Google Analytics and Hotjar. You can object to the collection and processing of these Google Analytics cookies through the following link: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout?hl=nl.
In line with the General Data Protection Regulation, you have the right to have your personal data removed. You have the right to access, correct and supplement your personal data. We will assess your request in line with the General Data Protection Regulation. Would you like to do so? Please send an e-mail to: privacy[email protected] In addition, users of this website have the right to submit a complaint with the Dutch Data Protection Authority.
How to contact us
You can get in touch with us in different ways, namely via email, via our live chat, by phone and via the contact form on our website. Have you contacted us in one of these ways? Then we will store the data we need to process your request, such as your telephone number, e-mail address and name.
For more information:
BTC Direct Europe B.V.
Wijchenseweg 102, 6538 SX Nijmegen, The Netherlands
We might update this Privacy Statement from time to time. We advise you to check this statement regularly to stay informed about these changes